Tuesday 22 May 2012

What Art is to Me ♥♥

So, I have this shirt, it's one of my favourites..

.

Whenever I wear this shirt to work or out in public, I always get compliments, as well as people really looking at and considering the image on this shirt. Furthermore, whenever I wear this shirt, I find myself looking at it in a passing mirror or a reflection in a window, pondering the deeper meaning in this print.

The conclusion I have come to is this: 
Art requires preservation.


 In today's society, with the suffering market and resources at a premium, money needs to be spent wisely and into the things we need most: Food, shelter, water, electricity, what have you. Unfortunately enough, the fine arts are something that don't typically fall into this category for most people. This leads to an extreme shortage in job opportunities, and therefore the pockets of those who place their passion and lifestyle into this category, thus demeaning the field of fine arts and discouraging future students to think twice before choosing this path. 
"Starving Artist" indeed. 

If you've paid attention to the news recently, you'll know that northern Italy just suffered a 6.0 earthquake with multiple aftershocks, resulting in the loss of hundreds of years worth of art and historical landmarks. Pieces that were centuries old that have brought inspiration and a sense of heritage to so many people were destroyed in a matter of minutes, lost to the fickle will of mother nature. The ease with which they were taken from the world to me is disturbing, and that such a thing happening would leave an imprint as it did in the lives of so many only leads to show me that art and expression are integral parts of life.

But then, that leads me to the question...
What is art, really?

Self expression, displayed emotion, the result of passion, a message conveyed. 
The "what" of art is really not definitive in nature, but rather attribute to the perspective it's being viewed from. It's food for the soul, a question for the mind, and a connection for the heart. 
It feeds the intangible side of life.

To some people, the aspect of art is inconceivable- Or at least it would appear to be, until you ask them what they're passionate about. If you keep doing that, you'll soon see that everyone has their art form, though they may not see it as such. There's something in everyone's lives that they enjoy creating or doing that puts that spark of life in their eye, that really means something to them. That thing that you are passionate about, that you put your heart and soul into and make it your own. 

That's art to me.

But that's just what I think.


Like, for instance, I've got ten canvases at the tips of my fingers at any given moment in a day. My nails are my passion- they are my art form.

What does this print make you think?
What do you think art is?
I'm intrigued to see any other sides to this topic. Please let me know in the comments!

Much love,
Dylan ♥♥