Tuesday 17 July 2012

Why I Am Who I Am. ♥♥

Today got me thinking.

There are places in my town that I can walk into and not merit a second glance, but there are some whose most common demographics seem to double take when I walk through the door. Simply because I'm not something you see every day in my town (which is quite developed, if I do say so, not a leading city by any means, but not a hick town), I get a lot of questioning glances and shocked faces.

It's understandable really, a man in my style of clothing wearing brightly patterned nails is not something you see every day, even in some of the more culturally varied cities. It just surprises me that in this day and age, diversity is still something that shocks and confuses people.

So I thought I would put this post out there. The lessons I've learned throughout my life have really helped me come to terms with who I am, and how to embrace my own self, regardless of the reactions and the questions I've faced, both from other people and from my own inner voice.

If there's one thing I can pass on that I know has helped me, every time I'm questioning why life is kicking me down, or why I should even bother carrying on, something I tell myself when I'm at my lowest...

You can CHOOSE to be happy.

I've been to the point multiple times in my life where I begin to question who I am, why I do what I do, why I should bother anymore, and what the point is. 

The truth is, there is a means to an end of everything we do, and that, to me, is happiness. Every action taken  is done so in hopes that it will improve our style of life, be it a good or a bad decision in the long run. 

The problem I have with this is that happiness does not NEED to be the means to an end. 

Happiness can be the conduit through which we put forth our efforts and live our lives as we see fit. Choosing to be happy means choosing to be satisfied with what you have, and accepting that whether or not things go up or downhill, we still have ourselves and what we have built up around us as our every day experience. Things will inevitably come and go, we must accept that as a fact of life- but your choice to be a happy person can live on inside of you, and cannot be taken away unless you choose to let it loose. 

Happiness is the goal, but it can also be the equipment
 that helps you score.

That's why I am who I am,
I do what I do,
and I embrace what I love.
What better time than right now?

What do we have to lose
 by choosing to be happy with who we are?

So the next time you feel like crawling back into bed and letting the day pass you by, you get up and look yourself in the mirror, and you tell yourself that you're CHOOSING to be happy and that you're going to have an AMAZING day. So many times have I done this, and it has really helped me enjoy my life and embrace every day to the fullest.

I am me because it makes me happy, and I truly believe that when you put happy energy out into the world, it will come back to you tenfold. Those people that choose to not accept that which confuses them or isn't congruent with their beliefs will achieve nothing through their judgement, except for a feeling of alienation and discontent. 


So be happy, no matter what life throws at you. What's the worst that could happen?




Much love, big hugs and a toothy grin,
Dylan ♥♥