Sunday 13 November 2011

Logos are for Billboards;; My Opinion on Fashion Branding.

This is just my opinion, you guys feel free to wear whatever you love.


(Something I drew a few years back, kind of the inspiration for this post)

If you go to your local mall, movie theatre, restaurant, high schools or what have you, chances are 7 out of 10 are wearing clothing that has evident branding displayed right across their chest. This is a subject I feel very strongly about. To me, this is just ridiculous. I'm not a billboard, I've purchased items of clothing to create my own look, not to advertise Hollister's. 

Clothing stores like Aeropostale, A&F, American Eagle, and countless other have created a multi million dollar company off of selling their name on a coloured sweater for twice the price it would normally retail for, had it not had their named sprawled across the front. I personally have made it my goal never to set foot in one of these stores. American Eagle I did once, to pick up a friend, and Aeropostale because I had no idea what it was. Learned a thing or two that shopping trip.

I've had this discussion before more than a few times, and I do remember people defending these stores, saying that "It's the most comfortable clothing ever" and "Not everything has their name on it".

To me, the reason it's the most comfortable clothing ever is because they've basically taken sweatpants and hoodies and made them a fashion statement. These stores, in my eyes, have turned people into billboards and style drones that are wearing their name because everyone else is, for the sake of fitting in and having something tangible in common with the population at large. I'm sorry, but I'm sure you've seen the "style"- sweatpants, hollister hoodie and a top knot? No effort, no style, no personality. Be a little unique, people. You're basically wearing your PJs. Of course it's going to be comfortable. It's actually kind of funny that way, people will go to Abercrombie because of their sex driven advertisements, only to buy sweat pants and hoodies that hide their shape completely, so that really there's nothing to look at EXCEPT for the logo on their chest.

As for not having their name on everything, yes, they do. Every brand does, it's just not as evident as most pieces, and most brands have the decency not to slap their name across everything in giant capital letters. Even then, it's not that that I'm disagreeing with, it's the aspect of their shameless advertisement that irks me.  Just because you have one pair of sweatpants without american eagle written across your ass doesn't redeem the brand, in my eyes.

What are you opinions on this topic? Do you love their clothing? Do you wear it around the house? Do you agree with my side? Let me know in the comments! This is a discussion I love to have with other people, to see other points of view.